Monday, February 20, 2006

How bored was I at work today?


ALEX: Sorry to start on a downer, but it's the plain and simple truth. You know when your eyes glaze over and everything you look at resembles a corrupted document? THAT'S how bored I was at work today. I was slightly uplifted at around 10am by the news that David Irving is in court, but then I got yelled at by the lady in the post room for not packing my parcel properly. She actually said "Are you taking the mick or something?"

When you work for a charity, your life is a haze of oxymorons and contrariness. Part of you thinks, "Ya boo, I can sleep at night because my working day was dedicated to helping people, what did YOU do today?" But the other part of you, the part that wanted to write the great British novel and sing with Jon Bon Jovi and hike up the bits of New Zealand you see in Lord of the Rings, that part thinks, "What am I doing with my life?"

Anyway, the good news is that it's Monday today, I'm off to see "Goodnight and good luck" tonight, it's Tuesday tomorrow, which means that it's Wednesday the day after (bear with me on this), which is my day off, then it's Thursday, which means it's almost Friday! And that can only be a good thing!

Oh, and I just started my first ever blog. It's very exciting... reminiscent of my first ever ebay purchase. The title of this blog refers to my (and my co-blogger's) shared love of all things pop culture-y. TV, films, pop music, short term plans for extravagent trips and shopping sprees, all the things that everyone secretly loves but prefers not to mention, instead pulling out an authentically dog eared copy of Ionesco's plays on the train home and mouthing the lines silently, just like Marwood does in "Withnail and I", with "Journey's End". Of course, Marwood isn't shallow or inconsequential, but the man sitting next to me on the train most certainly was. Can't make me feel uncultured by reading groundbreaking playwrights while I listen to Sheryl Crow on my iPod. Nick Cave, Beth Orton and Bach are on my iPod, I'll have you know...

1 comment:

David Williamson said...

Ankle deep in mud
Northwest of Hereford
Carry Grant in Barbour


Good grief! I should stop writing Haikus!